Friday, May 7, 2010

Chicken Parmesan Stromboli

This is another one of those recipes from that 'club' I used to get recipe cards from. I tried it years ago and it quickly became a regular at the dinner table when I still lived at home. Brad and the rest of the guys in my family really like this one as do my two nieces. I can't complain about it either plus it is really easy! I tried a variation of this one the other day and instead of chicken I browned some ground Italian sausage and threw some fresh mushrooms in there as well. The rest of the recipe I followed as is....so good! I also put cheese on the outside of mine-big surprise!

Chicken Parmesan Stromboli


1 pound chicken breasts
salt
pepper
olive/vegetable oil
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 jar (28 oz is what I always have on hand) pasta sauce, divided
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon parsley
1 pound (1 ball) frozen bread dough-I buy a big bag of them at Meijer

Preheat oven to 400
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet heat the oil over medium high heat and brown the chicken. Remove chicken from pan and let cool. Pull the chicken into large shreds...this takes a while for me.
2. In a medium bowl combine chicken, mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup of pasta sauce, parmesan cheese and parsley; set aside.
3. On a greased cookie sheet press dough to for a large rectangle. Poul chicken mixture down center of dough. Cover the chicken filing by bringing one long side then the other; overlap them and pinch together to seal. Fold the ends in and also pinch together to seal. CAREFULLY flip the roll so it is seam side down. Bake for 35 minutes or until dough is cooked and golden. cut into slices and serve with remaining pasta sauce.
(again, I added the mozzarella on the outside as well and some garlic salt and Italian seasoning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment