Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Watermelon Cookies

The minute I first saw these I wanted to make them. It just so happened that I found them over the Memorial Day weekend when I was looking for something to add to our family picnic. I found them on another blog: Amanda's Cooking and you can check it out HERE and she has a really great craft blog too! So, I decided to make these cookies just as the recipe instructs-I had never made dough this way but I was willing to try. Just one thing I forgot to do the first time around...you can see it in the picture below :) I call those my honeydew melons with seeds. I was able to fix it the second time I rolled the dough though and they were a hit. They taste really good and we all enjoyed them. Definitely something I would do again!

Watermelon Cookies


**These do not taste like watermelon, only look like one**

Cookie Dough
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teasponn baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold, unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 drops red food coloring (try not to forget this!)
1 cup miniature semi sweet chocolate chips

Glaze
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2-3 tablespoons milk
green food coloring

1.In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and red food coloring on medium speed until well combined.
3. Turn mixer down to low and gradually add flour mixture. Mix until no more flour can be seen. Gather the dough together in a ball using a spoon or spatula.
4. Remove dough from bowl and divide in two equal pieces. Between two sheets of parchment paper roll out each piece of dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
5. Place dough in refrigerator for two hours.
6. Preheat oven to 400.
7. Remove one batch of chilled dough from fridge. Remove top sheet of parchment paper and using a round cookie cutter or biscuit cutter (I used a small drinking cup) cut out circles.
8. Using a sharp knife cut each circle in half and place on baking sheet.
9. Gently press the chocolate chips into each half circle. Repeat process with other half of dough.
10. Bake for 6-7 minutes or until slightly puffed. Don't let them get too brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
11. You can reroll any unused dough between the parchment and place back in the fridge and cut more cookies.
12. Mix all ingredients together for the glaze. You may add a splash or two more of milk if the glaze is too thick.
13. Have a wire rack ready on your table or counter with parchment paper underneath it.
14. Carefully dip and 'roll' the rounded side of each cookie in the glaze. Place right side up on the wire rack and allow any excess to drip off onto the parchment paper and then dry completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment